most of my friends don't know what
which is so sad.
this stuff is to die for.
i thought i would share the recipe.
1 (36 oz.) package phyllo dough.
1 pound chopped nuts.
1 cup butter.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
1 cup water.
1 cup white sugar.
1/2 cup honey.
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. butter the bottoms and sides of 9x13 inch pan.
2. chop nuts and toss with cinnamon. set aside. unroll phyllo dough. cut whole stack in half to fit pan. cover phyllo with a dampened cloth to keep from drying out as you work. place two sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. repeat until you have 8 sheets layered. sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top. top with two sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go. the top layer should be about 6-8 sheets deep.
3. using a sharp knife, cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan. you may cut into 4 long rows then make diagonal cuts. bake for about 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp.
4. make sauce while baklava is baking. boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. add vanilla and honey. simmer for about 20 minutes.
5. remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. let cool. serve in cupcake papers. this freezes well. leave it uncovered as it gets soggy if it is wrapped up.
i know i say this every time,
but please let me know if you try this.
i want to share this goody goodness with all the world.